A bean, a green and a grain
I don’t recall who first coined that phrase, but that’s what kept going through my head as I made this Kale, quinoa and white bean stew. I’d had some extra kale left over from last weekend so decided to find a recipe for kale and white bean soup. I was happy to find this version with the extra addition of quinoa! I improvised a bit based on comments to the recipe, and what I had at home.
- Saute garlic, chopped carrot and squash in olive oil.
- Add fennel seed, thyme and rosemary.
- Add in ~7 cups veggie broth, 1 cup uncooked quinoa and two tbsp miso paste. Bring to a boil.
- Lower temperature and simmer covered for ~10 minutes
- Add in kale and white beans. Take picture.
- Stir, then let simmer for another ~5 minutes.
- Burn tongue trying to taste
- Take another picture
Although I have thyme and rosemary, I don’t tend to use them alot. I gravitate more towards turmeric, cumin, coriander when I cook. So I wasn’t sure how I’d like the flavor of this stew, but it was really good! I didn’t miss the potatoes, either – even without them, the stew was nice and thick. I really liked the addition of quinoa, as well. This is a full meal deal!